If you’ve wondered a Trade Union does and how it can help you, then here are 10 ways in which a Trade Union can help you.
1. Trade Unions are designed to help members to have their say, and voice their opinions in a way that leaders and management will take note. By combining members’ opinions, the message from the workers is stronger than just individual workers moaning and not complaining to management.
2. A Trade Union will provide representation for tribunals and disciplinary actions, and provide legal services when required. This can save thousands of pounds, and ensure that the person representing you has the necessary experience, and has your best interests at heart.
3. Trade Unions campaign at local levels. These campaigns could be in support of issues that affect a town, just as a factory opening up or helping migrant workers looking for work.
4. Trade Unions provide support for regional campaigns. Issues will differ from region to region, as the issues facing central London will be significantly different to those faced in Cumbria, or Cornwall.
5. Provide support for sector wide campaigns. Sector wide campaigns affect a whole industry such as farming, fishing, and car manufacture, and may affect all regions. As these sectors are based country wide, issues will affect all workers, and not just particular regions. A Trade Union will ensure that members are well supported
6. Provide support for national campaigns. National campaigns affect all workers and cover subjects such as pensions, working conditions, employment law and much more. Equal rights for all workers are important to Trade Unions.
7. Trade Unions ensure that Health and Safety rules and regulations are adhered to. From workers on an oil rig, to workers in an office, all employees have the right to safe working conditions and a disease free environment.
8. Trade Union membership helps to get better pay and working conditions. By campaigning on behalf of members, trade unions are able to negotiate better pay and working conditions
9. Trade Unions also carry out research for new campaigns and policies, for members and government policy.
10. Trade Union membership helps to ensure job security, as the union is able to voice its concern and campaign on behalf of its members.